Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
In order for us to keep God’s commandments, we must have understanding. If we do not have understanding we cannot keep God’s laws. David stated here that if he had understanding he would keep the law and would observe it with his whole heart.
The problem is people do not observe God’s laws with their whole heart because many have already said in their heart that they cannot keep His commandments. This mentality is compounded by teachers, preachers, and pastors who instruct them grace was given to cover all their sins… and so they continue sinning willfully because they believe they’re not accountable anymore to uphold the law because of grace. God forbid.
Some believe it’s because the Spirit of God can now dwell inside of us that we’re able to keep God’s laws- but look at this.
John 8: 2-11
2. And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3. And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4. They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6. This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7. So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10. When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11. She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
Jesus tells the woman to go and sin no more. Keep in mind the fulness of the Spirit of God dwelled in Jesus after He was baptized and no other miracles and wonders do you hear about. The Spirit of God did not dwell in man at this point… yet Jesus tells the woman to go and sin no more… evidently it was possible.
Do we mess up sometimes? Do we fall? Yes sometimes we do, but that is what repentance is for. Now hear me when I say this- write it down, tweet it, do whatever you want to do to document this… KINGDOM CITIZENS DO NOT SIN EVERY SINGLE DAY! I am so disgusted with teachers of the word saying this. When I hear a confessed believer saying this it reflects to me on their teacher… that is if they are consistent in assembling themselves together each week. Anyone who teaches this IS NOT teaching according to the word of God. I am not perfect by no means- but I’m going to do my very best to obey God’s laws.
Think about this. As of this writing I have been married for over 9 years going on 10. I love my wife so much! Now because I am married their are certain things that I cannot violate or it will impair, cripple, hurt, or destroy my marriage. Here are some examples of things that would violate the bond of our marriage.
- Talking to other women flirtatiously
- Going on a date with another woman
- Sleeping with another woman
- Talking on the phone with another woman for hours as if I was single
- Lusting after another woman
- Trying to get another woman’s phone number
- Spending income as if I was single again without communication with my wife
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things that are unacceptable behaviors once you are married. Now if I had a document with this on it and I had to carry it around constantly reminding myself throughout the day…
“Ok ok, let me make sure I don’t commit adultery today, I’ve got to make sure I don’t stare at any women today, I don’t want to ask another woman for her phone number today because after all I am married and this would make her mad.”
Even if I kept up with these laws of marriage throughout the day, my wife would not be very happy. Why? Because if I love her I shouldn’t have to remind myself day in and day out to stop myself from committing adultery. Imagine me coming home and saying everyday “I’m sorry I messed up today, but this sister was fine!
Yet, we do this very thing with God…
See God doesn’t want us having to constantly follow a set of laws routinely like this… It doesn’t mean anything, because we’re following the letter of the law. We’re going through a routine- there is nothing real behind it, there isn’t any passion behind what we’re doing. Remember without understanding you’re just following a list of “To-Dos”. Without purpose you have nothing to motivate the action- and you cannot keep anything without motivation.
My motivation to please my wife and keep our bond sacred is I love her with all of my heart and I will abolish anything in my life that would distance me from her. I don’t have to keep a list of “What to do and not to-dos” in order to do the right thing because my motivation is our relationship and the love I have for her.
God is the same way.
If ye love me, keep my commandments.
We build on our relationship with God through time in prayer, reading and studying His word, praise and worship… Being obedient to His laws and commandments becomes natural because we don’t want to do anything to distance our self from Him. Now read this…
This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
The pharisees problem was that they followed a list of 613 laws (the letter of the law) without having a true passion to please Him and to draw close to Him. (the spirit of the law)
I don’t have to remind myself not to hook up with someone else because I’m married- it’s automatic because I love my wife and I can’t let anything divide us.
I don’t have to remind myself not to steal something because God told me not to- it’s automatic kingdom culture because I love the Lord and I can’t let anything distance me from Him.
-For the Kingdom